To: <linux-users@it.canterbury.ac.nz>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: Ubuntu file permissions

On Tue, January 25, 2005 10:44 am, rob said:
Hi
Thanks for that Nick.

The output is:
-r-xr-xr-x    1 rob      rob         44000 2005-01-10
14:59 /home/rob/Xinstall.sh

Is it advisable to re-format a set of floppies using ext2 or something?
and then change the format type in /etc/fstab

if you are just transferring one file i wouldn't bother changing the floppy format. just chown and chmod the file once you have transferred it to the next system.

now as your ls -l output shows the file is executable and readable by everyone (permissions r-xr-xr-x)

the permission denied error therefore probably means that the file is
trying to write to locations where it does not have permission to write to
(or more properly, that the user running the script does not have
permision to do so).

If you are happy allowing this script to potentiall do anything it likes
to your system (in other words if you trust it) run it as root (I assume
you are still in ubuntu)

sudo /home/rob/Xinstall.sh

see what that does.

Umm one more thing - ubuntu installs X when you install it, you are far
better to use your distro's installer.

Woodsey

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 10:25 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
A few issues here :-)

On Tue, January 25, 2005 10:18 am, rob said:
> Greetings,
> How do I change file permissions in Ubuntu? I have a script program
> which, when I try to run it, I get the message "permission denied". I
> tried to change the permissions via opening the folder containing the
> file, selecting the icon for the script, going to file/permissions
then
> trying to tick the write and execute tickboxes but they won't stay
> ticked.

this will only work if you the user has permission to change that file.
please report back to us the output of:

ls -l /path/to/filename

> > Ubuntu help tells me to do exactly what I did. > > When I tried "run as root" it tells me the password is wrong. I've only > ever registered one password and this password lets me open a root > terminal.

use the sudo caommand to run something as the root user in ubuntu. like
this:

sudo command arguments

it will ask you for your user password (not the root password which is
locked in ubuntu)

> Even when using chmod o+x the permissions seem to change, then when I
> move the file to a floppy to use on another machine, the permissions
> re-set themselves to read only for all users.

floppies are often/usually dos (fat) formatted. fat does not know about
permissions and the file permissions will be lost on transfer. when
moved
onto another linux system they will inherit the permission that were set
when mounting the floppy.