> About 6 months ago, I sat down to install gentoo using only the
> resources available on that site. Even ardent admirers like Nick agreed
> that this is impossible to do. The docs missed out too many really
> important things - just took them for granted. ( and pointing out
> alternative third party resources is missing the point ).

I went to a Gentoo installfest, can't remember when but over a year
ago, and got along just fine with only a copy of the install manual,
kindly printed by Robert. I've installed a few times since then, and
I've always found the documentation to be well written, easy to
follow, and complete. It gives step by step instructions my mother
could follow. There may be a lot of places one could fault Gentoo, but
the documentation isn't one of them IMHO. Just my experience, I
realise mileage varies :-)

Cheers,
Gareth