I now found out why my Debian did not start. I had included the
following lines in /etc/fstab:

devpts          /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
sysfs           /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0

After deleting them (and reinstalling) it now works. I managed to
convert my init-scripts that start wvdial and make it possible to run
applications after chroot to the format used in Debian. The whole
boot-process and init-scripts under Gentoo are much better organized
than under Debian but both work.

There are still a few questions I have:

1. I am using my Gentoo kernel with all of its modules, so I can load
fglrx. But I have found no equivalent to opengl-update. How can I change
the driver from mesa to ati?

2. /etc/conf.d seems to exist only under Gentoo. Where do I place things
that should be executed once during the boot-process? (e.g. "echo
ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor") Under
Gentoo it was /etc/conf.d/local.start. Do I have to write an init-script
for these things?

3. Not really a problem but a curiosity: When I use "chroot
/data/debian" whoami still gives robert. (chroot has the s-bit on my
systems.) I also only have normal user-rights in the chroot. What does
the s-bit actually change?

Happy Hacking,
Robert Himmelmann

Only those who leisurely approach that which the masses are busy about
can be busy about that which the masses take leisurely.
         -- Lao Tsu

"Murphy's Law, that brash proletarian restatement of Gödel's Theorem ..."
         -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"