On Fri, Sep 16, Nick Rout wrote:
> I thought I had better start taking a look around and tried to emerge
> chkrootkit, but this bombed telling me it failed to untar the source
> code :(

Nick,

trojan binaries are often commands such as ls,find,ps,netstat,less.

Chkrootkit uses these commands so for a proper scan use the -p path
option 'chkrootkit -p /path/to/trusted/binaries' by copying trusted
binaries from the linux install cds.

'chkrootkit' is a shell script which works the "first" time provided
you use trusted binaries.

> this weekend I have the choice of doing further tests, or doing a complete
> re-install (/home is on a separate partition). What do people recommend?

The 'find' command might reveal something but a reinstall is the
favoured option.

find / -mtime -3 > foobar.txt
find / -user root -perm -4000 -print > foobar.txt

Recommended sites http://www.linuxsecurity.com   http://www.cert.org

newsgroup comp.os.linux.security

Samhain has superceded tripwire.
http://la-samhna.de/samhain/index.html

Samhain guide  http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/07/29/1727249

> I guess the real concern is how they managed to log in in the first
> place. Yes, I should not have  had the (default) option of allowing root
> login via ssh.

I don't agree with openssh being installed insecurely with default root
login. Dictionary attacks and probes can be avoided by using alphanumeric
user names and moving ssh from port 22.

hth,
keith.