On Wednesday 12 October 2005 12:33, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> How well does it work running XP[Pro]?

After taking a look in my qemu directory I discovered that I have 98, 2000 and
XP images in there (I had forgotten). The only one I use semi-regularly is 98
to test websites in IE, because it is by far the quickest to boot up.

For me, 98 is the quickest of them all even though 2000 is meant to be faster,
this could be due to the fact that my only copy of 2000 is Server and it
probably has a bucket load of services starting that don't need to be.

XP and 2000 are much the same speed.

This is running them all with the kqemu module, -m 256, and on an Athalon XP
2500 with 512 RAM.

A couple of other things that are useful (excuse my if these were covered in
the talk, I'm too far away to make it)

1. using overlay images to protect your original installation - this is
mentioned on the arch wiki page previously posted.

2. using the savevm command from the monitor (CTRL-ALT-2) and then using the
-loadvm switch from the command line for almost instant on.

HTH.

hads

--
  You are the children of a dead planet, earthdeirdre, and
    this death we do not comprehend. We shall take you in, but

         -- Lady Deirdre Skye,
            "Conversations with Planet"