Quoting Hadley Rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Thursday 13 October 2005 11:37, Wesley Parish wrote:
> > Quoting Hadley Rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > A couple of other things that are useful (excuse my if these were
> > > covered in
> > > the talk, I'm too far away to make it)
> >
> > I never got around to covering those, I'm sorry.
>
> No need to apologise, I merely mentioned them as I find them useful. I
> would
> have loved to have seen your talk.

<snip>

> > > HTH.
> > >
> > > hads
> > >
> > > --
> > > You are the children of a dead planet, earthdeirdre, and
> > > this death we do not comprehend. We shall take you in, but
> > > may we ask this question--will we too catch the planetdeath
> > > disease?
> > >
> > > -- Lady Deirdre Skye,
> > > "Conversations with Planet"
> >
> > (OT - Where is this sig from? It sounds like it might be from that
> > midnineties SF series that ended after one season. :-)
>
> I actually didn't know myself :/
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ fortune -c -m "Conversations with Planet"
> (smac)
> %
>  You are the children of a dead planet, earthdeirdre, and
>  this death we do not comprehend. We shall take you in, but
>  may we ask this question--will we too catch the planetdeath
>  disease?
>
>  -- Lady Deirdre Skye,
>  "Conversations with Planet"
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ pacman -Qs smac
> local/fortune-mod-smac 0.1-1
>  Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri fortune cookie files
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$
>
> :)
>
> hads

http://www.generationterrorists.com/quotes/smac.html
Lady Deirdre Skye "Conversations with Planet", Epilogue ... The quotes have been
taken from the game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, by Firaxis. ...

Courtesy of Google. Hmmmm, maybe there's something to that game, after all.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sidmeiersalphacentauri/review.html
"A big concern with moving to a science fiction realm is accessibility. After
all, even those of us burdened with a typical American public school education
are familiar with the basics of historical civilizations and the progress of
technology throughout the centuries. But xenofungus, cyberethics, and
polymorphic encryption are new concepts to everyone. To keep from overwhelming
you or requiring you to memorize the manual beforehand, Firaxis has created a
well-done interactive tutorial which can walk you through each interface window
the first time it pops up, and warn you if you're neglecting important game
elements. In addition, there's a well-done Datalink help system with detailed
information on all the game's controls, technologies, and units. The help system
is thorough enough that you may not even need to crack the game's 250-page
manual. You should, though, as it includes excellent background information, as
well as a number of handy charts."

I've set most of my SF (development stories:
http://masalai.free.fr/Dog-tired-hungry.html ;
http://masalai.free.fr/Riyhayhat.html - http://masalai.free.fr/axxa.html "There!
in the Document by failing to be" is an effort to replicate Dubya's speech
patterns on a good day, using emacs meta x dissociated-press and a wide variety
of texts.) on planets orbiting either Alpha Centauri A (the G2 star) or B (the
K6 star).  Maybe I should invest in a copy of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri to see
how - or if - he handles the binary star system ... ;)  And it would be an
excellent way to test Qemu's networking.
> --
> We were so poor we couldn't afford a watchdog. If we heard a noise at
> night,
> we'd bark ourselves.
>               -- Crazy Jimmy

Thanks

Wesley Parish

"Sharpened hands are happy hands.
"Brim the tinfall with mirthful bands"
- A Deepness in the Sky, Vernor Vinge

"I me.  Shape middled me.  I would come out into hot!"
I from the spicy that day was overcasked mockingly - it's a symbol of the
other horizon. - emacs : meta x dissociated-press