> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 10:16 +1300, Daniel Grant wrote:
> > What is the output of these:
> > grep hdb1 /etc/mtab
>
> Nothing,
>
> > grep hdb1 /proc/mounts
>
> And nothing.
>

> > I belive mount checks mtab, which could possibly get out
> > of sync...
>
> How does mtab fit into the picture with fstab, et al.?

mtab is a list of currently mounted filesystems, but differs
from /proc/mounts, in that is can hold more information like
from the user flag, but can be a symlink to /proc/mounts if
you don't want that info.  More info under the mount
manpage.

What is the output of
ls -la /mnt/hdb1
mount -v /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1

As a last thought, do you have strace installed?
strace mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 2>&1 | grep -i mount
(with the relevant actual mount call probably returning
EBUSY, but it is worth a try)

Regards

Daniel