Strange, my version of mount allows me to mount the same partition
multiple times - hence the 'already mounted' error seems odd.

Have you tried:
- create new mount point
- mount /dev/hdb1 to new mount point READ ONLY [perhaps using -v for
more info and maybe even -i to test if mount helper is duff]
- if above actually works, remount rw i.e. with mount -o remount rw
<mountpoint>

Is there a difference in the mount version [or mount helpers] between
the two systems?
Try replacing the mount and mount helpers with fresh ones?

Regards
John

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 20/02/2006 9:38:59 a.m. >>>
> HappyEvilSlosh wrote:
> >
> > amancha:/mnt# mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1/
> > mount: /dev/hdb1 already mounted or /mnt/hdb1/ busy
> >
> > I've checked in my ubuntu partition and it doesn't seem to be a
hardware
> > fault, since it works fine there.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Check out our web site:
http://www.cdhb.govt.nz

This email and attachments have been scanned for content and viruses
and is believed to be clean
This email or attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information intended for the sole use of the addressee(s).
Any use, redistribution, disclosure, or reproduction of this message,
except as intended, is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please notify the sender and remove all copies of the message,
including any attachments. Any views or opinions expressed in this
email (unless otherwise stated) may not represent those of Canterbury
District Health Board