> I can backup (!) this assertion.  I've had nothing but trouble trying to
> get a USB2 backup solution working nicely.  It's a great idea, but i
> ended up crashing a file server many times,

I would put this down to kernel/hardware problems. I use USB mass
storage devices quite a bit, and have yet to see any crashes. The worst
that happened once was with some flash cards which I plugged in some
silly fashion and combined with a reboot, failed to delete the mount
point automatically created previously. Looks reliable to me.

> and creating some
> interesting filename munging scripts to make the interesting filenames
> people call things fit onto a FAT32 fs

If you use a USB harddisk as a backup system for Linux and store more
than just iso images or tar files, any fat filesystem is obviously
totally useless. Reformat with something useable. Added side benefit:
the Microsofties don't accidentally read it.

But as you say, backing up over the ethernet onto any media connected to
some other computer is way more flexible.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.