On Monday 24 April 2006 14:16, Steve wrote:
> I've got a bit of a problem with a website and, surprise, surprise, IE.
> I've got a png image that has a transparent background, which doesn't
> display properly in IE, as it doesn't support transparent pngs. When I
> use the gimp to convert it to a gif, I end up with an image of appalling
> quality.
>
> Is there any way of getting a gif with a devent quality? I've gone down
> the route of enabling png support on windows - an epic in ityself - but
> it's included through css as a background image, so it plain doesn't
> work.

Not directly answering your question (I seem to be bad at that) but...

Incase you haven't seen this, you can force IE to display the PNG with
transparent support through a proprietary CSS rule.

filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='img.png')

Which will work for your background image. This can be applied to any element.
You will probably need to apply some width and height to the element if it
doesn't contain anything else.

You can use IE conditional comments or other hacks to hide this from non-IE
browsers if you so desire.

> Any suggestions? Taking up dairy farming is looking more and more
> interesting.

Dairy farming is cool, as long as you can get up early for 10 months of the
year :)

HTH

hads

--
Wedding is destiny, and hanging likewise.
                -- John Heywood