Robert,

> If your tftpd is using the "-s" option (which it says it is), then you
> shouldn't need to put the "/tftpboot" bit in there.  /tftpboot becomes
> the root directory for any tftp clients.

I understand that but (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the section
shared-network WORKSTATIONS
was not used if there is a section for specific hosts/MAC addresses.

True enough.  It's probably a good idea to fix it just in case you get
another computer and forget to add it to your dhcpd.conf.

You might be onto something there David. Will try it tomorrow.

> > > Are your clients using PXE or some other sort of network booting?
> >
> > Well I think the network booting must be OK for it to get as far as it
> > does. Is that a fair assumption.
>
> What I meant was "which type of network booting are you using" (PXE,
> etherboot floppy or other)?

Pretty sure it is Etherboot - the previous server had no reference to PXE in
its dhcp.conf file

If you're hitting F12 when you boot, or if your BIOS is set to boot
from the network, then you are probably using PXE.

If you have EPROMs on your network cards, or have etherboot floppy's
then you are using etherboot.

If you are using PXE, then filename for your kernel in dhcpd.conf
should be /lts/2.6.16.1-ltsp-2/pxelinux.0

This is from the troubleshooting section of http://www.ltsp.org:

PXE can only load very small files, "2nd stage loaders", that in turn
can load whole linux kernels. You most probably have to adjust the
filename to point to "pxelinux.0" in the appropriate directory.
http://www.ltsp.org/README.pxe might help you setting up everything
correctly.

--
Later