On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:47:12 +1200
Robert Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 15 June 2007 1:14 pm, David Kirk wrote:
>
> > Robert's point about only being able to daisy chain up to 2 switches
> > is incorrect.
>
> No I said 3 (three) but I cannot find documentation to back up what I had
> thought.
>
> > Our network has at least 10 switches all linked
> > together with redundant links.
>
> I think the following is OK..........
>
> P  S----------------------------Switch2--------------------Switch3
> R  W---------------------------Switch4--------------------Switch5
> I    I----------------------------Switch6--------------------Switch7
> M  T---------------------------Switch8--------------------Switch9
> A  C---------------------------Switch10------------------Switch11
> R  H---------------------------Switch12------------------Switch13
>
> but not............
>
> S-------Sw2------Sw3-----Sw5----Sw6------Sw7----Sw8------Sw9-----Sw10
> W-----------Switch4
>
> Happy to be corrected though as it could make life easier at times.
> Where is Michael Moffat? (He works at Allied Tellyson)
>
> Rob

I think you're confusing best practices with actually supported. Obviously the
available bandwidth plummets with each switch, but networking limits revolve
around cable, not equipment ( eg max cat 5 run = 100m - but you can run 200m if
there's a switch in the middle, etc ) to the best of my knowledge.

Steve

Steve