On Tue 17 Jul 2007 16:54:19 NZST +1200, Zane Gilmore wrote:

> As it turned out one of the scripts I had written to do some DB
> manipulation finished what it was doing then the dripping tap stopped.
>
> My script was using all of the CPU it could get it hands on and was using
> hundreds of megs of RAM. When it finished so did the dripping tap... spooky

Not spooky, just an insufficient sound implementation in Linux which
doesn't prioritise sound enough. Playing sound is a real-time activity,
database IO is not. My KDE startup sound is very stuttering because a
bunch of other windows open at the same time; that's on a box magnitudes
faster than the hardware on which Redmond95 managed the same job
perfectly 12 years ago :(

You could try fiddling with proces priorities. Or a real-time kernel. Or
a stand-alone music player pocket gimmick...

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.