My fifteen-year-old son's running Ubuntu on a old eMac, and would like
to switch to an x86 machine. He wants to "roll his own", rather than
purchase a ready-built machine. This isn't something I've ever done, so
I'm looking for advice on going about this.

Should he buy a second-hand machine to start with, so he test each
component as he upgrades it? What does he need to consider to be sure he
can upgrade everything easily?

Would it be better to buy everything at once, from one source, to be
sure of getting a fully-functional machine?  Would this cost more?

How can he be sure of ending up with a fully
GNU-compatible/Linux-compatible machine?

Advices on sources, etc.?

Thanks,

Mike Gauland

This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If
you receive it in error: (i) you must not use, disclose, copy or retain
it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then
delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited