/etc/X11/xorg.conf is the ultimate screen definition file if that's any help.

Get the screen properties from the manufacturers website, and look for the
following sections:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync       28-96
        VertRefresh     43-60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen 0"
        Device     "Graphics Adapter 0"
        Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1400x1024" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

You'll be wanting to change the HorizSync, VertRefresh and Modes in the above
section to support your lappie.

hth,

Steve