On 10/11/07, Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, October 10, 2007 10:53 pm, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> > On 10/10/07, Don Gould <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> Chris has set up a whole distro mirror.
> > It's not really a 'mirror' per se. i.e. it's not connected to the
> > Internet. You have to turn up at the St. Albans Community Resource
> > Centre with a minimal amount of small change and copy the files
> > yourself using the Windows facilities available.
>
> Please leave a blank line between the quote and your reply, much easier to
> read.

Yes, I do see the point.

> Why is this resource on a windows computer to start with?

Simply because it's there, and we have free access to it.

> Surely we  can come up with a computer with a hard drive and a dvd writer to
> run linux on for this resource?

I would hope so, but as there is an adequately suitable computer
available to us at no cost I thought it sensible to use it.

At the moment I see the provision of this archive of distros as an experiment.
If members, their friends, and the general public, vote for it by
using it, then I would be fully in support of us providing hardware
for it, but not until its popularity is proven.

> >> People can just bring a memory stick.
> > A memory stick, of sufficient size, or a USB rotating hard drive is by
> > far the best.
> > Remember that your filesystem has to be Windows compatible, and if you
> > are going to get an image of a DVD of something over 4GB I understand
> > that that means NTFS.
>
> windows handles ext2/3 with the addition of a simple and free driver.

By the same token, Linux can handle NTFS using the ntfs-3g system.

The St. Albans Neighbourhood Network ( NN ) are a bunch of consumate
Microsoft Windows devotees. They are taking a huge leap out of their
comfort zone even considering having Linux files on a machine. At the
moment, I'd rather not push them any further.

> And why can't I bring a laptop and plug it into their network and transfer
> the iso to my hard drive?

The management of the St. Albans  - possibly with good justification -
are absolutely paranoid about their network being attacked by people
with neredowell intent. Currently they do not want to make connections
to their network available to strangers. I suppose we have to respect
that.

> > No. The CD copying facilities are the Windows program called 'NERO'.
> > Take care that you select the facility which allows a bit-for-bit copy
> > from the file to the CD.
> > A Google search on "nero cd iso burning instructions" as the search
> > term gives dozens of good-looking documents.
>
> nero is not the only option. nero is not free afaik. there is a freeware
> tool mentioned here
> http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm - but see my other
> email on this subject.

See above comment about the devotion to M/S and please apply that to
allied commercial products as well.

--
Sincerely etc.
Christopher Sawtell