On Thu 11 Oct 2007 14:02:25 NZDT +1300, Nick Rout wrote:

> So we are left with a situation where it is actually not that easy to get
> a DVD image off their machine:

> 2. You can't use the commonly available flash drives as they are default
> formatted with fat which probably won't take a file >2GB.

Let's have a closer look at that. Flash gimmicks are formatted with FAT
or VFAT. There are a number of different FAT formats, each having their
own maximum size. On an 8GB stick you can assume there is a FAT version
which holds at least 8GB (I have yet to see a stick which has more than
one partition; some don't even have a partition table).

A quick play with truncate and the loop device shows that FAT32 is
needed for an 8GB filesystem. A cp shows that the maximum file size is
4GB.

The bottom line is that portable storage gimmicks may well hold dozens
if gigabytes but are useless to store a single DVD image file.

1) Find a file splitting program which runs on the other OS. Tell people
how to put it back together at home (Linux or other OS). Burn disk
image. Hmm, I don't see this option being the high-flier.

2) Tell people to use a useful portable storage device. Geeks would
cope, but then they don't need an ISO library (they already have them at
home).

3) Outfit the ISO library with a DVD burner. I'll chip in with half the
cost.

4) ??? ideas ???

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.