Phil .. info on the hard drive recorder option.

Sky digital decoders have the option to "book" programs from the guide - it works rather well .. if you're using a "recorder" connected to the decoder then just set the start time as per the program guide .. I have my HDD recorder set for line 1 .. and just flick the channels with the booking option.

HDD recorders have the ability to edit programs by trimming off the bits you don't want .. weeding out ad breaks etc .. also writing these programs off to a DVD for portability.

There is another bonus in buying a modern HDD recorder - 1080i upscaling .. if you have a nice screen then this is definitely worth the money.

I understand that the "mysky" box does this stuff without the need for separate programming. I'm not sure of their capacity.

Regards

Phill Coxon wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a hard drive recorder to record stuff
on TV.
But I wanted to get some feedback from the resident mythtv experts on
whether it would be better to build a MythTV media box instead.
I'd like to:

* Record TV from my Sky decoder. * Have some way to schedule and automatically change the SKY channel for recording. * Have a working remote control
* Have optional composite / HD output

Any thoughts and recommendations for hardware etc would be appreciated.
Thanks...

http://www.eset.com