No, not rsync, I do however have that high on my "to do" list.

I have scripts that make tar files, copy to a second machine and (some of them) burn to dvd, run via cron jobs. They run on a daily or weekly schedule and am quite happy with them. Fairly regularly I test (also via a script) that the files will copy off dvd and extract to an alternate location. I can see the total size of the restored files, and it's approximately the right size to within an expected difference due to the continual creation or updating of files. However I don't know 100% for sure that I am excluding or including all the files or folders I think I am. Currently I have to do a manual examination of folders if I want to check that I'm not missing something crucial and so am looking for a cleverer way to do it. Krusader is supposed to do a directory comparison, I can't currently get it to work....

Roger

Nick Rout wrote:
Also the --dry-run option to rsync would tell you what differs.

I assume you are using rsync to sync the files anyway?