There's a scripted backup solution based on rsync called rsnapshot. There's a method here:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-611411-highlight-offsite+backup.html

... that would allow you to add in bash commands to tar/bz2 and write to dvd.

Roger Searle wrote:
Sure, I appreciate that. And that is why I'd like to introduce an rsync backup. However it doesn't address my requirement to have an off-site backup as I don't have a remote destination (that's always available) that I can make use of, hence the tar files burnt to DVD and transported away in my car / on my bike. I'll need to continue with the current off-site method even when I have rsync copying the data to another machine in the next room - until I figure out the offsite part.

Nick Rout wrote:
Of course if you used rsync you would be sure that all the data in source
was reproduced byte for byte in destination.