dave wrote:
On Tuesday 04 November 2008 23:34:02 Christopher Sawtell wrote:
2008/11/4 Zane Gilmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Funnily enough, the one time support would have been welcome (this
issue

took months to resolve) both Oracle NZ and RedHat were absolutely
useless. Wandering through source code eventually highlighted the
issue

which was resolved quite effectively once the cause was found.
Yes,
I think that is my experience too.
If you are a reasonably knowledgeable sysadmin or whatever, any support
you want is going
to be for a relatively obscure problem which is unlikely to be
something a phone-support person is able to deal with.
You might also care to consider one of the *BSDs.

FreeBSD is _very_ stable for server use.

if so then OpenBSD would be even better wouldn't (I mean it's the server version so to speak) FreeBSD is the desktop version so to speak i mean.
eg netbsd = network server, OpenBSD = web server, FreeBSD = desktop etc.

I stand to be corrected on this tho.

dave.
Similar code - different foci.

PcBSD is the desktop version. Nice but I still prefer Linux.
FreeBSD is the server version. I run this both at work and home for my servers.
OpenBSD is the paranoically secure version. Never needed this.

hth
Brett.