On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:52:39 +1300
"Payne, Owen" <owen.pa...@ccc.govt.nz> wrote:

> Um, technically it went metric, but they never really had the spine to
> enforce it, so all the kids are taught in metric, whilst the rest of the
> country uses imperial. If you ask about this anyone over 40 tells you it's
> because they find it easier to work out!!!!

[snip]

Britain actually went metric in 1965, 4 years before New Zealand. Surprising it
did at all since it was invented by the French (: I think the only (major?)
non-metric country left in the world is the US. The only hangover that's in
common usage is the measurement of road distances/speed in miles. For example,
the 22m line on a rugby pitch which is really 25 yards. ( in the Netherlands
you can still ask for an "ounce" of cooked meat at the deli - although it now
means 100g ).

And yes, I'm somewhat over 40, and remember being taught basic arithmetic with
pounds, shillings and pence as well...

Steve
--
Steve Holdoway <st...@greengecko.co.nz>