When you partition it, you should be able to state what the partition is
for, ie mount as /, forma as ext3, etc. Once this is done and saved,
it'll use it.

TBH, I'd disconnect the important disks, and just leave the one you want
to partition as linux. That'll give you an extra level of safety when
starting out...

Oh, yes, I've been there!

Steve