On Wed, July 8, 2009 12:21, Bry Ashman wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Craig Falconer<cfalco...@totalteam.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> Bry Ashman wrote, On 08/07/09 15:02:
>>

>> Blow that marketing fluff - they're gigabytes.  If one drive maker
>> would have the testicles to quote actual capacity in gigabytes I'd
>> support them.
<Snip>

> I used to think that too!
>

> But now I am not too sure. It makes sense for RAM to be in powers of 2
> because of the way address buses work. However most other things like
> network speeds are based on powers of 10. It can get every confusing going
> back and forth between them sometimes. Which is better I am not sure.
>
> However I must admit it is incredibly frustrating to explain why their
> 1TB drive is only around 930GiB.

In my opinion the kibi-, mibi-, and gibi- prefixes are execrebly lame.  I
think it's better to use the conventional kilo-, mega- and giga- prefixes,
since they sound good, and to actually know what you are talking about.
After all, these are not the only of homonyms in the English language.

Oblig. Linux content: Err, my Mepis netbook's in my bag?