I have PDF forms that I want to populate with data. I want to be able
to save the data and change it, and reprint the form with the updated
data.

An example of the forms is here:
http://www.pco.parliament.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/pdf/DistrictCourtsRules/DCR-Form-2.pdf

I don't want to have to buy full adobe acrobat at whatever inflated
price it may be (not forgetting there are probably 7 people in the
office needing to use these forms, and more if it becomes a generic
solution to other problems).

I envisage probably a web page which asks questions needed to populate
the form - probably a standard LAMP arrangement. I can probably figure
all that out, its getting the data into the PDF form which has fields
etc generated by someone else that is the difficulty.

I am aware of reportlab (python pdf api)
http://www.reportlab.org/rl_toolkit.html . Figuring out how to use it
in this context is another matter.

Any tips or pointers would be valued highly.