CABLE CABLE CABLE!

Or if you live in an internet-ghetto^Wnon-cabled area then you're pretty stuck with telecom DSL, whether it be xtra or wholesaled through another ISP.

Some areas (mostly city) allow telstraclear DSL, but thats PPPoE and only in places they have their own copper but not coax.

I've heard excellent stuff about netspeed wireless, and they have provided a decent pipe in Hoon Hay, at a location where DSL was under 2 Mbit.
http://www.netspeed.net.nz/
http://www.f1.co.nz/    Christchurch franchise