On 30 March 2010 17:22, Roy Britten <roy.brit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 March 2010 16:21, Stephen Irons <stephen.ir...@taitradio.com> wrote:
>> The original Topo50 TIFFs include legends, borders, etc. Presumably, the
>> OP wants to cut the borders, create a single large image for the whole
>> region, then divide it up into suitable pieces for printing on an A3 or
>> A4 printer.
>
> Precisely. Well stated.
>
> Current status:
>
> Image Magick to crop and combine images.
> ImageMagick (with -density) to convert to EPS
> poster to split into pieces
> ps2pdf to convert to an easily shareable format
>
> Currently the ps2pdf step is applying what looks like JPEG compression
> to the images, so I need to look closely at the options there (I've
> done it before, but *ages* ago and have forgotten all I ever knew) to
> use no or lossless compression.

For the sake of the thread archive.
There are several Linux / Unix  PostScript to Portable Document Format
converters. To whit:-

PStill:-
http://www.wizards.de/~frank/pstill.html

ps2pdf which is part of the GhostScript package:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostscript/
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

pstopdf which is part of the TeX system
http://www.tug.org/texlive/
( The easiest way to get pstopdf is to install a _full_ TeX system )

Each one has its own different plusses and minusses.
Deciding which is best for a particular purpose is left as an exercise
for the reader.

HTH

--
Sincerely etc.