Yes, xfce is good.

Did you run xfce_setup as rick (your user name)?

You should have a .xinitrc file in your home directory (or you have a
.xfce directory in your home directory that contains a xinitrc file)
that should have the following section near the end. This is what mine
looks like. I added the -no to -lock-mode to avoid the passwording.
There are global xinitrc files that possibly may need to be changed.
(try 'locate xinitrc')

# Launch xscreensaver (if available)
xscreensaver -no-splash -no-lock-mode &

--