Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 05:32:04 -0500
> Bill Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I do believe that is the nimda freak, code red would entail
> > default.ida?NNNNNNNN ( or XXXXX, 0000000)
> >
> > linux.nf is no more.  All things are the same with the domain change
> > of linux-sxs.org
> >
> > HTH,
> >

> > On Wednesday 20 February 2002 03:10, you were heard blurting out:

> > > someone with an infected Windows IIS box, IIRC this is the "code
> > > red" worm.
> >
> > --
> >   Bill Day
>
> I have a linksys 4 port router as gateway from a cisco 675 (dsl), and
> had ports 21, 23, and 80 open on the linksys for testing purposes.
> Guess that's out. This stuffs ticks me off. Jut when I started having
> fun. This is apparently outside my house, not my win95 machine here,
> judging by the ip address of the probes, yes?

This worm has been out there for quite some time, and is well
established on the computers of hundreds of thousands of dumb yucks who
either don't care or are just too dense to fix/secure their servers.

You don't have anything to worry about from this critter as you aren't
running M$ IIS.

Check the list archives for "Apache Error Log" to see how to keep this
out of your logs, and look into EarlyBird (treachery.net) which is an
automatic notification script that generates emails to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] letting them know attacks are coming from within
their networks...although not many respond <surprise!>.

> (I'm reading up on security.)

Always a good idea...before you open any ports.

--
Linux SxS [http://sxs.homeip.net/]