Rick Sivernell wrote:

> Ian
>
>    yes I have seen it, your point is?

<counting to 10...>

The fact that you replied in the manner you did seems to indicate you
felt as though the message was directed at you, which it was not.
Other than the fact that it was your post that generated the public
re-announcement of [EMAIL PROTECTED], I don't see your name or any
language in my reply that specifically singles you out, but now that
you felt the need for a snide reply, consider this post directed at you.

_The_ point (not mine, but one of general netiquette) is that while the
intent of messages of that nature, although genuine, should be either
marked <OT> which it wasn't, or posted to the appropriate list, which it
wasn't.  When a thread gradually moves <OT>, not marking it thus is
almost expected, but to start a thread that is <OT> and not mark it as
such is not expected.

I am almost certain, that I have made <OT> posts and not marked them, so
I am not without fault.  But as someone who does what he can to help
keep the list and the SxS running, I would be remiss in my "duties" to
not mention the fact that Doug has taken the time to actually provide
those of us who wish to discuss general non linux OS topics a list
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and a jobs list ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

Furthermore, there is a not insignificant portion of the list who don't
reside in the US, and an even larger portion of the list who don't even
live in this hemisphere, for whom the massage was of little or no value.

The corporation I work for are one the the largest recruiting and
placement companies in the world.  If I were to post to the list
messages of job postings that were possibly applicable to skills of list
members, it would be more traffic per week than any other 10 members of
the list combined generate.  Almost 100% of those posts would be of no
value to the list members from the UK, Germany, South Africa, South
America, Australia, Asia...and so on.

So, somewhere, there has to be a compromise, that compromise is
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

These are not matters for further discussion and debate, these are
matters of fact.

<TID>, for me, in this case means Thread Is Dead.
--
Linux SxS [http://sxs.homeip.net/]