Yes, I see those errors as it boots up.
I didn't look to see if devfs was turned on. I copied the .config from
/usr/src/linux to /root/linux where I was doing the new kernel and used make
oldconfig to make sure it had the same parameters as the original kernel,
which works fine.
I am running Mandrake8.1 with kernel 2.4.8-26mdk and am trying to get kernel
2.4.17 to work. This is all on ext2.