--- Vern W Heesch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok. So, since I built my 2.4.18 in /root/linux, I would need to move
> that
> into /usr/src? Then since the originasl pcmcia-cs was an rpm, I need

The recommended & traditional place to put the kernel source is under
/usr/src/linux.  I'm farily certain that when you build pcmcia-cs from
source, it looks for the kernel headers under that hierarchy.

> remove that rpm and install the pcmcia-cs tarball in /usr/src and then

Nope.  You don't have to do anything with the pcmcia-cs RPM.  It servers
its purpose by providing the neccesary modules for your Mandrake 2.4.8
kernel.

> have
> it build modules for the different kernels from there?
> Sorry, I feel really stupid today.

No big deal, no need to apologize.  THe only things you need to do to
get pcmcia support under the 2.4.18 kernel is:
1) Build & install 2.4.18 under /usr/src/linux as per the kernel
building SxS instructions.
2) Build & install pcmcia-cs as per its instructions
3) Restart the pcmcia service so that its running the newer version of
cardmgr that you built.  If all works well, it should detect any PCMCIA
cards that you have inserted, and load the appropriate module(s).

=====