Randy Donohoe wrote:

> I'm going to set up a notebook with a 6GB HD this weekend. Windows 2000
> Server is getting 3GB and Red Hat 7.2 is getting 3GB. The Red Hat side
> will be divided into /, home, swap, var, and temp. Swap will get 250MB.
> How should I divide the remaining 2.5GB between /, home, var, and temp?

Well, since this is on a laptop and not a server, I'd suggest it's
really not all that important if you're not planning on providing
services off this machine.

If it's a personal use machine, I usually just hack off a decent slice
for /home depending on what you do/use you *may* need a gig. If you are
planning on dowloading/carrying a gob of mp3s then /home will need lots
of space.  If this is just for email and occasional browsing, or if you
are on a network and are planning on using SMB or NFS than you wouldn't
need a gig.

/boot gets it's own partition on my machines, usually about 25 meg or so
should suffice.

The rest can go for /, or you can always keep 500-750 unused and migrate
a directory structure (say /var if it gets big) over to that if needed
at a later time.

If you have an install of this distro up and running already, 'cd /; du
-sh *' will yield valuable information as to what's taking up how much
space.  eg: Different distros make use of /opt or /usr more heavily than
others.

This really depends on a lot of things, what use, what type of install
you're going to do (everything, minimal ?), and is kind of like asking
how long rope is...depends on where you cut it, and where you cut it
depends on what you are planning to do with it.

Experimentation leads to experience.
--
Linux SxS Mirror [http://sxs.homeip.net/]