Its a bit strange that you'd get SDL as a tarball, and SDL-devel as an
RPM.  It should all be one or the other, not a mixture.  Plus if you're
building SDL from a tarball, then you should already have gotten the
'devel' stuff with the tarball.  I'm wondering if you have ended up with
a mixed version.  Might be best to remove SDL completely as best as you
can, and reinstall it again all from either RPM or tarball.

ALso, which version of XFree86 are you using?   I noticed some internal
references to X11 stuff in those errors.  If its the Caldera hack job of
XFree86, you might want to consider grabbing XFree86-4.2.0 and using
that instead.

I've built MPlayer on 3 different boxes, and never ran into any
problems, but i tend to use alot of pure sources rather than distro
RPMs.

=====