On Monday 18 March 2002 8:38 am, Keith Antoine wrote:
>  Pam,
>
> I have got many of the kde src files compiled and also turned out RPMS for
> them too, using checkinstall.

[snip]

> Now all I have to do is pickup courage to try it out. Anything that I have
> to do before that ??

If you are running Caldera 3.1.x (or even 2.4)  and already have KDE 2.x and
want to be able to choose KDE 3 instead, and have put qt3 into /usr/lib/qt3
and kde3 into /opt/kde3 then I would suggest:

1)  Look for the kde 2  file kdmrc. It may be in /opt/kde2/share/config/ or
perhaps in /opt/kde2/share/config/kdm/, or you may find it in both places.

Change the SessionTypes line in the file(s) so that it includes kde3:
SessionTypes=kde2,kde3,failsafe,

2) Create the following shell script and save it as usr/bin/kde3 and make it
executable.
------------------------snip here------------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
#   KDE 3 STARTUP SCRIPT
# Save as /usr/bin/kde3 and make executable

QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
KDEDIR=/opt/kde3
KDEDIRS=/opt/kde3
KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde3
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QTDIR KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH KDEHOME

/opt/kde3/bin/startkde

3) Create a symlink to it from /usr/X11R6/bin:
ln  -s  /usr/bin/kde3  /usr/X11R6/bin/kde3

This will keep your existing KDE 2 login manager and login dialog but with
kde3 added to the options. Try it.

DON'T PANIC...  It can take quite a time to start up properly the first time.

Enjoy

Pam
--
Linux Step by Step (UK mirror): http://www.pam.roberts.btinternet.co.uk/sxs/