M.W.Chang spewed electrons into the ether that assembled into:
> I am using dig to grab the root.hints every day. Always work... The
> first copy of root.hints was ftp-downloaded, though. Frankly, is there
> any guarantee/agreement that there is _ALWAYS_ a root.hints for the
> world to download from the Staets? :)

not as such. but if InterNIC wants to continue their monopoly on the root
servers, they have to provide the information. And if it ever does go away,
there are alternate root servers. I use a set other than InterNICs, as a
matter of fact
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
Admin: Linux StepByStep - http://www.linux-sxs.org

Design is like a religion - too much of it makes
you inflexible and unpopular.
        - Linus