Scribbling feverishly on April 06, Jerry McBride managed to emit:
> On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 10:04:09 -0500 Kurt Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Subject line says it. CML2 is the configuration system Eric Raymond
> > wrote for the kernel (orginally -- extensible to other similar uses).
> > I played with it at work the other day and was very impressed.
>
> Kurt,
>
> It is tied to a specific kernel version or is one able to use the new
> tools on any kernel version?

To the degree I've played with it, it works for any 2.4 kernel.
Evidently, it has Linus' imprimatur to be integrated into the 2.5
kernel, but I haven't followed lkml closely enough to know if it has,
in fact, been so integrated. It seems to work with 2.4.18, which is
what I'm running here.

That said, the first kernel I built with it booted, but
1) It didn't have all of the drivers I needed.
2) The configuration dialog flashed for a while when I was twiddling
   with the SCSI configuration of my Symbios adapter.
3) It didn't seem to pick up my existing $SRCDIR/.config, which I'm
   sure contributed to 1).

I chalk all of these up to operator error until I have reason to
conclude otherwise.

One downside is that CML2 requires Python 2. I already had Python 2.0
installed, so that wasn't a big deal, but lots of people have a 1.x
version, entailing an upgrade. I'm not sure it is worth the upgrade
just to have a slicker kernel configuration tool.

YMMV.

Kurt
--
Fortune: You will be attacked next Wednesday at 3:15 p.m. by six samurai
sword wielding purple fish glued to Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

Oh, and have a nice day!
                -- Bryce Nesbitt '84