On Wednesday 17 April 2002 11:49 pm, Tim Wunder wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 April 2002 05:43 pm, Bob Raymond wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > Yep. I could even run Windows on this box ;-)
> >
> > Windows is actually faster on my box than KDE, if I consider application
> > load times.  Comparison:
> >
> > rig is Athlon 1.4ghz, 512mb SDRAM, Radeon 8500 video, 40GB 7200RPM drive
> > for Windows, 13GB 5400RPM drive for Gentoo (I know it's unfair, but my
> > sound card is better supported in Windows, so I need the HD for
> > recording).
> >
> > Windows XP Pro                                              Gentoo 1.1a, KDE 3.0
> > boots in 30 secs.                                           boots in 15 secs.
> > Mozilla load time 5 secs.                           Mozilla load time 10 secs.
> > Mozilla mail load time 5 secs.                      KMail load time 15 secs.
>
> Irrelevant to my point. You can run a modern linux distro on less hardware
> than what I have. In fact, most linux distro's will install on less than
> half the hardware I'm running and will run well. Maybe not KDE3, or KDE2,
> or Gnome. But xfce, enlightnement, blackbox, or even no GUI at all.
> If you want a webserver, mail server or even a file and print server for a
> small network, a modern linux distro will handle it far better than Windows
> XP Server on far less hardware.
>
> FWIW, Kmail 1.4 (which is the version supplied with KDE 3.0), starts in 3
> seconds for me. Maybe Gentoo ain't so great after all ;-)
>
> Tim

I've gotten KDE 2.1.1 running just fine on a Pentium 200MMX, 128MB RAM, and
Gnome on a Pentium 60, 48MB RAM.  In both cases, I had everything faster than
in Windows (2000 and XP on the Pentium 200, 98 and 95 on the Pentium 60).

My Gentoo build is still recovering from my stupidity, typing:

rm -rf /etc

instead of:

rm -rf etc

Bob Raymond
--
 12:04am  up  9:18,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.05, 0.14