Actually, i think i've made some progress.  The problem i'm running into
now is when i attempt to run xawtv, i see the following errors:
v4l: open /dev/video0: No such device
no video grabber device available

[root@hal src]# ls -l /dev/video*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            6 Nov 10 22:40 /dev/video -> video0
crw-rw----    1 root     sys       81,   0 Feb  9 09:36 /dev/video0
crw-rw----    1 root     sys       81,   1 Feb  9 09:36 /dev/video1

[root@hal src]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
videodev                2912   0
usb-uhci               20964   0  (unused)
usbcore                48000   0  [usb-uhci]

So i'm a bit stumped at what else could be wrong here.  Anyone?