I'm running the preempt patch on 2.4.18.  My mp3 player was skipping when the
system was under load, and the preempt patch mostly fixed that.  I have to
work much harder to make it skip now.  The system is generally more
responsive as well.  I haven't had any stability issues, so as far as I'm
concerned it's a real win.