XP was a real mixed bag for me.  Aside from my deep hatred for the
Playschool UI (so glad I can turn that off) it seemed to be no better at
handling driver issues than any other version.  IE is less stable than
on any other WinOS, if that is even possible.  OTOH, most of my other
apps seem more stable and less likely to kill the machine.  The big
issue for me is that the machine must be quite powerful in order for XP
to run right.  I've run it on less than a 500MHz box, but I wouldn't
recommend it.  Then again, I guess I wouldn't recommend it anyway.  I
only use it to admin my Windows servers and play games.