On Friday 31 May 2002 07:26, Harry G wrote:

> Yes, we are not talking about replacing the normal distribution but
> rather our business product SuSE Linux Enterprise Server. UnitedLinux,
> at least in its first incarnation, will be based on the next version
> of SLES which will be enhanced and modified to suit all participating
> parties.

Jeeezzz, they just don't get it.

If you make it proprietary, close much of the code and charge for it on a per
seat basis, just where is the incentive for my corporation (or my clients) to
migrate to (or retain) Linux?  In essence, you have reduced Linux to just
another so-so middle-of-the-road commercial Unix. Thanks, but if I'm going to
go that route, I'll go HP-UX or Solaris and be perceived of by my bosses as
taking much less risk.

At this rate we'll only be left with Debian.
--
burns