On Saturday 08 June 2002 23:20, Ken Moffat carved in granite:
> I see some newer cameras that use autoconnect USB connection, like
> some new Olympus and Kodak 3600 cameras. Gphoto uses a USB
> Mass-storage driver for these, but states they don't support
> downloads. Anyone have any experience with these USB cameras? (or usb
> in general on linux?) (i'm using redhat 7.3 and Caldera 3.1.1 right
> now)
> Thanks.

I believe gphoto2 lists these cameras (at least the Kodak 3500-3900 &
MC3) are listed as "Experimental".  The olympus cameras are not so
listed.  See:
        http://www.gphoto.org/cameras.html

I just bought the Kodak DX-3500, but not the docking station (which is
the one using their "Easy Connection" software.  The camera comes with
an USB port (as well as the EasyDock connector), so I just plugged that
in.

I'm running SuSE 8.0, and it automatically detected the USB device
(there is a GUI USB Viewer that shows it connecting and disconnecting
as the camer is turned on and off).

Gphoto2 works great with only one exception -- only root has permissions
for the USB port, for some reason (see the "gphoto2 & USB access"
thread).  I haven't found a work around for that, yet.  I've built a
script to handle downloading, changing owner/group/permissions and
moving into another directory, though.  Now if I can figure out how to
make that script executable by *anyone* while running with root
permissions I'm set.  Of course, I'd prefer to change the access on the
USB port.

However, the quick answer (now that I've given you the long one) is that
you can use gphoto2 with the USB port on at least one of these cameras.

In Harmony's Way and In A Chord,

Tom  ;-})

Barbershop Bass Singer