Ken,

> I guess the usb connection from the 3600, 3900, 4900, etc, would be
> usable as a standard usb device under redhat or other modern distros,
> kernel 2.4+ ?

It seems so.  Mine is working fine (and I have a couple leads on the USB as
a standard user problem that should lead to a SxS entry).

> But not the docking station, eh?

That was my take.  There is a separate charger that can be purchased ($29.99
or thereabouts -- about 1/3 the docking station cost) to accomplish
recharging.  The camera (at least the 3500) comes with an USB cable.  The
docking station software says it requires certain Windows or Mac OSs.

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

Tom  :-})

Thomas A. Condon
Barbershop Bass Singer