On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 13:35:53 -0500 "David A. Bandel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 11:31:16 -0600
> begin  Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:
>
> > On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:09:04 -0500 "David A. Bandel"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:25:39 -0600
> > > begin  Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> > > [snip]

> > > Let's see, I have on my LFS system:
> >
> > [ snipped ]
> >

> > > in fact, I think the list of what I _don't_ have would be
> > > shorter.
> > >
> > > For me, a _base_ system (which uses libpam BTW), includes cron,
> > > mail, etc., that LFS doesn't.  For me, LFS isn't even a base
> > > system.
> > >

> > LFS was a useful learning experience, and for novice users the LFS
> > book is a useful repository of what's really in each of the basic
> > packages, but I found that gentoo would get me where I wanted to
> > be(and keep me there) a lot quicker.
>
> Quicker than what?  My build is automated (scripted).  I doubt I
> could install (build) Gentoo faster than LFS.  Besides, I have _no_
> idea what./configure --??? options are being used with Gentoo, and
> on that point I´m rather fussy.

A lot quicker than doing it manually, since there was no automated LFS
process at the time I last tried (dinosaurs roamed the earth).

Would you care to put your automated scripts on the SxS?

Sounds like a pretty good base for a generally useful distro.  I liked
the general approach in LFS.  At the time, however, even the basic
bootstrap process was a real crap shoot depending on the driving
system.  Some of the static compiled modules were very flaky.  Maybe
it's better these days?

BTW, the ./configure options are stored in the .ebuild files on
gentoo.  It would be somewhat tedious but possible to keep your own
set.  I find that most of the choices are ok.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-mozilla