Collins wrote:

>Over the weekend I put up Slackware 8.1 and ran for a couple of days.
>Pretty uneventful experience.  The only real drawback is that they
>don't package Sylpheed, but at least they do offer Xfce.  A few notes:
>
>1) Slackware is still stuck in the Lilo world (some would say right
>on).  I let it create a Lilo bootdisk, but for some reason that failed
>to boot.  So I just updated my grub menu.lst and continued.

Mhy boot disk worked, but I updated grub menu.lst also.

>2) I couldn't get the precompiled kernel to recognize my ethernet card
>even after loading tulip, so I had to move over my kernel config and
>compile my usual kernel which worked without a hitch.

Before the actual install there is a network setup, which detected my
nic and installed tulip.
Check the README or INSTALL files.

>3)  I didn't load or try kde.

kde3 works fine here.

>4) My one drawback, and I'm sure Slackware afficionados have a cure
>for this one, would be the problem of maintenance.  I've gotten too
>spoiled by gentoo where everything is done for me.
>
>5) On a scale of 1-10, I'd give Slack at least an 8.

Agreed.

Is there a printer config tool? (my HP840c won't work for some reason. I
tried kde print tool but no luck) Command line 'lpr' works, but can't
print from X.