[ snips ]

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:21:06 -0700 Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Collins wrote:
>
> >Over the weekend I put up Slackware 8.1 and ran for a couple of
> >days.

> >2) I couldn't get the precompiled kernel to recognize my ethernet
> >card even after loading tulip, so I had to move over my kernel
> >config and compile my usual kernel which worked without a hitch.
> >
> Before the actual install there is a network setup, which detected
> my nic and installed tulip.
> Check the README or INSTALL files.

I should have been more explanatory.  The network setup ran and
detected the wrong card (picked some strange choice) other than tulip
which works for the card.  I have two nics (one unused at the moment).
 Even the gentoo installer makes the wrong choice.  Strangely enough,
if I compile tulip support into the kernel, the correct card is chosen
and everything is cool.  Go figure.

> Is there a printer config tool? (my HP840c won't work for some
> reason. I tried kde print tool but no luck) Command line 'lpr'
> works, but can't print from X.

I gave up on printing.  LPRng is installed and comes up OK.  I added
the lpdomatic stuff, the appropirate ppd file for my hplj1100
(=ljet4), and the recommended printcap entry, but for some reason the
...omatic stuff chokes on the (supposedly) valid ppd file - unable to
parse successfully.

Since I didn't plan to run Slack on a regular basis, I abandoned the
project.

cups, too, is flaky (on gentoo even), and I haven't got around to
debugging it.  I installed pdq, and I love the formatted output
options.

Good luck with Slack.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-mozilla