Hi list,
I've been dealing, off and on, with a niggling sound problem. None of the
sound recording apps I have want to work for me anymore. I've tried krecord
(which used to work), gramofile (which used to work) and audacity (which I've
just installed); krecord and audacity segfault on me, gramofile does nothing.

Someone on the audacity help list suggested (among other things) that it could
be my sound driver mucking things up. After trying his other suggestions,
I've decided to download the latest emu10k1 driver and give that a shot. I
grabbed version 0.19a and compiled it just fine. I now wanna install the new
module in place of the other.

This seemed to me to be a simple task, rmmod the existing emu10k1 module and
insmod the new one. Unfortunately, when I try 'rmmod -rv emu10k1', this is
what I get:
Checking emu10k1 for persistent data
rmmod: emu10k1: Device or resource busy
Checking ac97_codec for persistent data
rmmod: ac97_codec: Device or resource busy
Checking sound for persistent data
rmmod: sound: Device or resource busy

It seems to me that this shoulda worked. What am I missing?

In the meanwhile, it appears as though I'm gonna need to reboot the box (after
removing the sound module references from /etc/modules/default) to unload
this driver.

Regards,
Tim

--
Caldera eWorkstation 3.1+, kernel 2.4.18-preempt, KDE 3.0.2, Xfree86 4.1.0
  8:00pm  up 25 days,  6:12,  7 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.12, 0.07