On Thursday 11 July 2002 11:07 pm, Net Llama! wrote:
> Tim Wunder wrote:
<snip>
> > ...Unfortunately, when I try 'rmmod -rv emu10k1',
> > this is what I get:
> > Checking emu10k1 for persistent data
> > rmmod: emu10k1: Device or resource busy
> > Checking ac97_codec for persistent data
> > rmmod: ac97_codec: Device or resource busy
> > Checking sound for persistent data
> > rmmod: sound: Device or resource busy
> >
> > It seems to me that this shoulda worked. What am I missing?
>
> The modules are still in use, because something somewhere is writing to
> /dev/audio or one of the other /dev sound devices.  lsof should show you
> what.  If you're running KDE, all bets are off, cause i'm sure its
> breaking some law of physics somewhere.

lsof - List Open Files.
That's the command I couldn't remember...
It woould've been interesting to find what was using /dev/dsp. Unfortunately,
I've since rebooted and unloaded the old module and installed the new. Oh
well, only had 25 days uptime...

The good news is that Audacity works now, from XFCE. I think aRts is in the
way in KDE, audacity runs, but won't listen to the sound card. The bad news,
krecord still bombs at startup; I haven't tried gramofile with the new driver
yet. Of course, I'll never know if it's the new driver, or the killing of
whatever process had /dev/dsp open that solved my problem.

> > In the meanwhile, it appears as though I'm gonna need to reboot the box
> > (after removing the sound module references from /etc/modules/default) to
> > unload this driver.
>
> Actually, removing it from /etc/modules/default (which is a caldera-ism,
> rather than the standard /etc/modules.conf) might help.

One of these days I'll make the leap to another distro. I've added enough crap
to my Caldera install that installing a new distro and getting everything the
way I want it isn't a small job :-(
I'm running the latest KDE, the latest GNUCash (CVS), and a few experimental
things (preemptive kernel for one). Not to mention keeping my mailserver and
webserver active.
Oh yea, and I've got three other users to think about (2 sons and the wife).
Sounds like I need a new PC ;-)

Thanks,
Tim

--
Caldera eWorkstation 3.1+, kernel 2.4.18-preempt, KDE 3.0.2, Xfree86 4.1.0
  8:00pm  up 25 days,  6:12,  7 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.12, 0.07