On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 10:32:59AM -0400, Tim Wunder wrote:
> RedHat 8.0 apparently comes with glibc-2.2.93.
> http://www.gnu.org/software/glibc says the latest glibc is 2.2.5.
> RedHat 7.3 shipped with glibc-2.2.5.
> Should I care that RedHat is shipping a non-standard glibc (if that's
> what they're doing)?

2.2.5 is the latest stable version. 2.2.9{3,4} are the latest in the
snapshots. Presumably, although I don't follow glibc development, when
it's cooked, it will be 2.3. Yes, that's right, glibc doesn't adhere
to the version numbering model that Linus uses for the kernel. I might
point out, just in passing, that 2.2.93 is "higher" than 2.2.5 in the
numbering scheme.

Should you care? I don't know. Remember GCC 2.96? Or, how 'bout good
ole glibc 2.0.7? Better question: what does Red Hat 8.0 have than you
just have to have? Better still: can you build it yourself without
upgrading the rest of your system?

Kurt
--
How much does it cost to entice a dope-smoking UNIX system guru to
Dayton?